Choosing a camera
Choosing a camera might get very tricky as we have a lot of cameras and camcorders available today at fair to expensive prices. If you are thinking that for video making you’ll have to buy some expensive device and accessories, let me tell you that you can make awesome videos even with a mobile camera, but we’ll get to that later.
If you are looking for still photo cameras, head over to the post by Allan Thomas detailing pros and cons of different photography camera types like DSLR and Mirrorless.
But should I go for a camera or a camcorder?
It depends on you. If you want to try out video making and don’t want to spend more money you can use your SLR, point-shoot camera or even mobile cameras. According to your budget and kind of film-making you’re interested in you can go for :
- A DSLR, as it is the easiest way to get into creative video making. A DSLR, when combined with your imagination, can yield some awesome shots and footages.
- You can go for a camcorder if you want to make videos for news or events. It is most simple and easy to use, just press the record button and record your footages.
- If you want to make videos for domestic uses such as family use, school, traveling or office work a point-shoot camera or mobile camera will work. In terms of versatility, you can grab a point and shoot camera. If you don’t want to carry some bulky and heavy cameras, just slide this in your bag on the go.
- With a big budget you can go for a cinema camera. This is for some serious film-making – professional shots for business or your own film. If you are considering this camera you obviously have tons of experience shooting videos.
- An action camera would do great for outdoor activities and sports. These cameras are best for giving a first person perspective. With this camera, you can add a different point of view to your film and give your audience a totally new experience.
- If you’ve got a good smartphone like iPhone 5S or later, I’d prefer it over an entry level camcorder. Or maybe you don’t want to spend any money on buying cameras yet, you can simply go for a smartphone with good camera. They are handy and you won’t have to carry any extra gear or bulky gadgets on your trips.
Now before you make your choice there are other factors also to be looked upon such as microphones on that device for clear sound. Or you can search for some external microphones to get professional sound quality. You might require additional gear such as a tripod, carrying case, etc. to complete your setup, so make sure choosing a package with all the necessary equipment and gear. Our next blog in this series will be about how to get a film look in your footages, till then happy choosing!